Flagstone can be laid one of two ways; either dry laid or mortared. The dry laid method is much similar to how we install interlock, and consist of:
- Excavating down 11".
- Back filling with 8-9" of Granular A Aggregate.
- Compacting all the gravel with adequate tampers.
- Installing a 1" bedding layer for the flagstone.
- Square cut flagstone generally comes pre-cut in different size squares.
- Laying out all of the flagstone to fit properly.
- Setting the flagstone with screening. (Because flagstone isn't as consistent at man made products it usually requires for each stone to be set individually. This can be a bit of timely process as its done with lasers, and string lines).
- Lastly we install polymeric sand in all the joints, and clean off the newly installed area.
The first image shown here is a patio that was installed out of a natural flagstone out of India.
« Go Back